Get Back In the Game with Tailored Sports Therapy
Whether you’re a career athlete or your child has just taken to a new school sport, the concept of individualized sports therapy is a great option for you.
What is Sports Therapy?
Sports Therapy, also known as sport physical therapy, is a specialized area of physical therapy that deals with both acute, chronic, and repetitive injuries in professional, collegiate, high school and recreational athletes.
Our trained physical therapists utilize thorough evaluation, treatment, transition back to sport, prevention, complete fitness, and performance enhancement programs to help you or your young athlete recover and improve.
How Can Specialized Sports Therapy Help Me?
While sports therapy is the ideal choice for an athlete recovering from an injury or surgery, it is a comprehensive type of therapy that also focuses on education, conditioning, prevention and complete fitness.
Our sports therapists often work directly with post-surgical athletes to help them recover their strength, range of motion, and activities of daily living.
We use a variety of proven physical therapy techniques, such as:
● Manual Physical Therapy (specialized hands-on techniques to facilitate movement, and functional control)
● Therapeutic Exercise - from active range of motion (simply working against gravity) to advanced resistance protocols, sports therapists help an athlete recover the necessary strength to compete in their given sport.
● Heat, ice, taping techniques, and electrical stimulation
● Functional Retraining - all sports require specialized balance, movement patterns, and dynamic flexibility and stability. Sports therapy includes retraining the athlete in their given area of interest or excellence. Examples include helping pitchers recover their throwing mechanics. Assisting football players in cutting, catching, throwing, and backpedaling. Helping basketball players recover the jumping, shuffling and shooting mechanics.
● Dynamic Strength & Endurance Training - most sports require endurance, balance, and short bursts of intense strength output. In the later stages of athlete rehabilitation, our sports therapists will often transition players to advanced conditioning programs that closely replicate their experience on the court or playing field.
Each program is tailored to your unique needs and situation, and may include one or more of the above techniques to help you return to the game quickly.
Sports-Related Injury Prevention
Sports therapists often provide interventions and recommendations to assist athletes with the education and intended prevention of devastating sports injuries. This may include pre-participation evaluations, equipment advice, conditioning programs (e.g. ACL injury prevention) and cardiorespiratory conditioning programs that are constructed to assist athletes in a safe transition back to the sport.
Sports Performance Programs in Oakland County
After a thorough evaluation of an athlete's strength, neuromuscular coordination, flexibility, and cardiorespiratory fitness, your sports therapist will develop a performance training plan designed to help the athlete achieve their performance goals.
Depending on your specific goals and needs, a program may be provided as an individual training plan or your sports therapist may coach you through a performance program directly on a daily or weekly basis.
We can help you or your teen athlete expedite sports injury recovery or maximize sports performance in a way that suits your lifestyle.
Get back in the game!
Complete Rehab Physical Therapy